Feb 25, 2010

Tanning Bed Safety

I was flipping through the December 2009 issue of Cosmpolitan and came across an interesting article called Scary Truths Tanning Salons Deny by Stacy Colino. I used a tanning salon a couple times when I was younger (before I knew better) but freckled badly so I stopped. I know of many people who do and do it often (and I have to say that my skin definitely DOES look younger than their skin and they are younger than me).





*Photo from http://www.metrohealth.org/body.cfm?id=1636



I wanted to make a few notes from the article for those interested:

  • The International Agency for Research on Cancer has reclassified tanning devices as a definite carcinogen.  (The definition of carcinogen is "agent directly involved in the exacerbation of cancer or in the increase of its propagation.")  This isn't new news to me.  I think it is pretty common knowledge.  Knowing that, I don't understand why people would use them (and use them often in a lot of cases).  Are there health benefits to using a tanning bed?  Not for me personally.
  • According to this article..."exposure to UV light can lead to melanoma, especially if you're exposed to it in your teens and/or 20s."
  • Melanoma cases are even showing up in the genital area of women.  I doubt women are standing on their heads outdoors and getting sunburned there.  This is from the tanning bed.
  • Is your excuse for using the tanning bed that you get Vitamin D from it?  Go stand outside a few times a week and you'll get the same benefit.  Find another source for Vitamin D.
  • Do you think the tanning bed is safer than the sun? According to this article, the bulbs in the tanning beds are several times stronger than sunlight. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment