Jun 18, 2010

C. Diff Bacteria

Well, it turns out my PID wasn't coming back.  I believe I picked up another infection through the hospital called C. difficile.  According to the Mayo Clinic:

Clostridium difficile, often called C. difficile or "C. diff," is a bacterium that can cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammation of the colon.

You are at higher risk if:  you are in the hospital for two or more days (I was), if you take multiple antibiotics (hospital had me on Clindamycin and Gentamicin and then two others at home), and if you take Clindamycin (yup). 

At first, I thought it was just my digestive system messed up from all the antibiotics so I started taking probiotics.  That didn't give me relief and I felt like I was having IBS symptoms, which I don't have.  I had all the pain and digestive upset and was nauseous all the time.  I felt "off" all the time and anything I ate or drank had me cramping up.  Knowing I was just in the hospital and on antibiotics had me googling for information and I came across C. diff. pretty easily. 

The treatment is metronidazole (Flagyl) which I have and probiotics (which I'd already started taking because all those antibiotics messed me up).  I figured I'd try the script I already had and if I didn't feel better within a couple days, I'd go see my doctor.  Thankfully, the metronidazole is helping.  After two days, I'm improving.  Hopefully it goes away.  If it reoccurs, I'll go see my doctor.  I know I should've called him anyway but I'm just tired of doctors and the thought of any type of scopes or tools going "up there" for diagnosis - no way, no how.  I know what's wrong with me.  I don't need another big medical bill to tell me when the $700-$800 hospital bill from last month is already going to kill us.  I'm tired of being sick and doctors.

I have so much to do this summer with our four kids, hopefully a vacation next month if we can financially swing it, house painting and room updating (my oldest kid wants lockers in her room like one of her friends so I'm looking around at school furniture), and work to do, I don't have time to be sick all summer long. I've been sick for a month straight now and that's been plenty!

It's time for all these germs to take a hike!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment