Aug 7, 2013

A few days ago, I was grocery shopping and came across this little old man grocery shopping.  He looked lost.  He explained that his wife had died awhile ago and that she had done all the shopping. He didn't know what he needed or where anything was. I felt so bad for him. I helped him find what he needed but felt guilty that I couldn't do anything else for him. I didn't know what else to do!

I wonder - does this man have any children who weren't helping their dad? Isn't there a neighbor or friend for him?  What a sad thing to have happen - live your entire life and then have nobody to help you towards the end of it.  It was incredibly sad.

For me, I do not get along with my dad.  Years of dysfunction will do that. My childhood - I remember the dysfunction (fighting, tears, anger), the money problems, the tool that looked like c clamps bolted to his workbench in the garage (why would I remember that?).  I don't have any good childhood memories.

I don't want to end up like this poor older man in the grocery store when I am older. I hope we are raising our kids better than that. I hope that we have been good parents to them that they are around when we are older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment