Feb 7, 2009


I am going to start a category on thyroid disease because it is becoming more prevalent, especially in women, and it is too important to go undiagnosed.

I have thyroid disease. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and hypothyroidism with goiter/nodules. I have several nodules on my thyroid that I had biopsied for cancer years ago. Because you can only get a small percentage of cells out of millions during a biopsy, even a biopsy isn't 100% accurate, which still leaves me to wonder. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder. I was diagnosed a few months after my third child was born, after a fever and sore neck prompted me to start feeling around my neck. Imagine my surprise (and stress) when I found lumps in the front of my neck. I was on Synthroid or its generic equivalent for many years and now am on Armour. I was told once my thyroid levels normalized with the medication, that the goiter/nodules would go away. They didn't. They don't bother me as much...they used to choke me more than they do now.

I used to go to an Endocrinologist until we moved. Since moving, I'v relied on our family doctor who, honestly, does very little to examine or monitor my thryoid. Recently, it seems like my nodules have changed which has prompted me to look for an Endocrinologist again (not easy to do in the boonies). Because of the scattered swiss cheese that is my memory (and probably a bit of fear as well), I forgot this past week to make an appointment with the one I found. That means my husband, for the first time ever, has shown fear over my health. Not even an asthma attack that sent me to the ER caused fear in him (when, seriously, it should have..I almost died). He was a bit irate with me this morning because I'd forgotten to schedule the appointment with the Endocrinologist. My normally calm husband raised his voice to me (*gasp*) to tell me he didn't want a dead wife or how was I going to raise my kids as a dead mother. I guess he's worried. I put it on my schedule with an alarm for Monday so I don't forget.

Despite blood tests showing me within normal range, I still suffer from brain fog. My memory, which used to be very sharp, is now like swiss cheese. I lose my train of thought often. I forget things very easily (ha, blame it on my thyroid that I forgot to make my thyroid doctor appointment). My skin is terrible - very dry and prone to contact dermatitis. My hair, which was never smooth to begin with, is more coarse. At least it's not falling out anymore though (which is a symptom by the way). I used to be a skinny chick - - now I'm overweight and having a difficult time with how I look and feel about myself. My metabolism is next to nothing anymore. Exercising leaves me winded within the first couple of minutes. I am more irritable with less patience (I didn't have that much to begin with so that's bad). Even a "normal range" blood test does not mean all the symptoms go away.

So, that's my history. If you are looking for a source of information, check out About. I am currently reading Thyroid Solution: A Mind-Body Program for Beating Depression & Regaining Your Emotional & Physical Health and have found a few good points that I will post about in another post soon.

A really good book that I've read is:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment